Some examples of the types of digital capabilities you might consider here are:
- Start an online portfolio
- Take part in online courses or webinars
- Use tools to organise and plan your learning (online notes, mindmaps)
- Record the learning you have taken part in and showcase what you have created online
- Use digital tools to help manage your time (task lists, calendars)
- Create online guides for others on how they can use digital tools to support their learning
- Take opportunities to help others to develop their digital capability skills
Digital teaching is the ability to support and develop others in digital settings. This might mean working in a teaching role or as part of a teaching team, or it might mean supporting development much less formally, e.g. as an appraiser or mentor. As with digital learning, the underlying commitment to development must be there, but the digital tools for realising it present new opportunities and challenges.
Digital learning is the ability to turn digital opportunities into personal learning gains. In many ways this depends on our general readiness and motivation to learn, but in some ways digital learning makes particular demands. Habits of successful digital learners include: using new media such as apps, games and quizzes; participating in open courses and learning networks; using digital tools to plan, reflect and showcase learning; monitoring and self-assessing; managing time and tasks.
LinkedIn Learning is an amazing resource. It has online courses on so many different subjects. You can download them to listen to on the way to work, or even while you're at the gym!
H5P is very easy and quick to use and enables you to produce professional-looking, interactive resources for students to use in Moodle.
Mentimeter has helped me to plan classes with better knowledge of what students need to learn and it has helped students to feel more confident knowing that they are not the only ones who need to ask questions.
Support and Training at York St John
Lynda.com is an excellent resource available to all staff and students at York St John. If you have not yet tried an online course, this would be a good place to start as there are many topic areas and you are highly likely to find something that would help your personal development.
Mahara is our eportfolio system at York St John. You could start using Mahara to collect evidence of work you are doing in preparation for AFHEA, FHEA or SFHEA applications. You can find more about Mahara through our webpage or through the Digital Training guides.
OneNote and Evernote are just two of the many tools that can be used to keep track of meeting or lesson notes and can be easily accessed from any device. For more information on Evernote, check the Digital Training website.
The TEL team is here to support academic staff in using technologies to enhance teaching and facilitate teaching activities where possible.
On our website you can find more information on:
Moodle - our institutional virtual learning environment
Media Library - our institutional video library which can be used to capture and share content easily
Mentimeter and other audience response systems which can be used to add interactivity into seminars and lectures
Turnitin - feedback and marking tool and plagiarism detector
- June 21,2019 / Accessibility Digital Capability Digital Communication, Collaboration and Participation Digital Learning and Development Information, Data and Media Literacies / 0 Comments
Member of staff: Julie Raby School: Humanities, Religion and Philosophy What is...
- June 18,2019 / Accessibility Digital Capability Digital Communication, Collaboration and Participation Digital Learning and Development / 0 Comments
About Presentation Translator Presentation Translator subtitles your live presentation straight...
- June 06,2019 / Digital Capability Digital Communication, Collaboration and Participation Digital Creation, Problem Solving and Innovation Digital Learning and Development ICT Proficiency and Productivity Information, Data and Media Literacies / 0 Comments
Summary of approach/tool OneDrive is an online storage space that York St John staff and...
- May 13,2019 / Digital Capability Digital Communication, Collaboration and Participation Digital Creation, Problem Solving and Innovation Digital Learning and Development / 1 Comments
Summary of approach/tool Padlet is a website and app that allows you to curate information onto...